SEARCH, a leading nationwide and global provider of cultural resources services to government and commercial customers, is continuously seeking top talent in the cultural resource management industry. As a full service company, SEARCH offers a multidisciplinary integration of our five divisions: Archaeology, Maritime Archaeology, Architectural History, History and Archives, and Heritage Design.
SEARCH has an immediate opening for a temporary full time experienced Archivist to join our team. The Archivist will be responsible for assessing condition, processing, inventorying, and preserving collections, including paper and digital photographs, negatives, newspapers, magazines, maps and oversized items, using collections management best practices. Candidates must be independent and project-focused, detail-oriented and organized, and able to work competently on simultaneous tasks while meeting multiple deadlines. This position will require working in a team environment, working independently, and working closely with clients and/or their representatives.
This temporary, 4 month position will be based in Springfield, VA. Upon completion of this project, and based on merit and pending work load, a full-time permanent position may be offered. The position will occasionally require overnight travel to collections, museums, curation facilities, and laboratories throughout the US.
Key responsibilities of this role will include:
- Maintaining the highest professional image for our clients, co-workers, media, and the general public;
- Exercising independent judgment, discretion, and decision-making on behalf of the company for the benefit of clients and co-workers;
- Collections records management, including:
- Developing, monitoring and updating data;
- Report generation, including Total Records and Information Management (TRIM) Context reports, or other products with a listing of collections in the archives; and
- Development of finding aids and quick reference tools for collections;
- Assessing the condition of the archives and recommending remediation or other mitigation;
- Implementing processing procedures which permit efficient and continued control over specific groups of records/collections undergoing processing;
- Creating archival procedures related to collections, reference, preservation, instructions, procedures, and correspondence;
- Assisting in arranging the physical collection for accessibility;
- Meeting deadlines with accuracy and completeness; and
- Other tasks on a project or as-needed basis.
In Word or as a PDF, please send a cover letter with a description of your archival experience which also lists a minimum of two professional references, your resume/CV, and dates of your availability. SEARCH will contact professional references and treat all employment inquires with discretion.
Candidates must be eligible to work in the United States and able to obtain a Top Secret government security clearance. The chosen candidate will be required to successfully complete a pre-employment drug test and a criminal background check, including DMV.
For more information on SEARCH, please visit www.searchinc.com and follow us on Facebook or Instagram.
SEARCH is strongly committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment where a variety of backgrounds, cultures, orientations, ideas, and talents can flourish.
SEARCH is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
SEARCH is an Affirmative Action Employer and a Drug-Free Workplace.
To perform this position successfully, qualified candidates should have the following:
- Ability to acquire and willingness to undergo TOP SECRET government security clearance;
- Master’s Degree in Museum Studies, Collections/Archives Management, Library Science, History, or other related discipline with a collections/archives management or museum studies concentration;
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in history, archival science, information management or related fields;
- Minimum of three (3) years’ experience working with archival collections with demonstrated experience with processing, appraisal, reference service, and the creation of finding aids and archival metadata;
- Experience with current electronic records management software, preferably TRIM;
- Extensive experience with Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Excel and Access;
- Extensive experience with Adobe Acrobat, including document conversion and development;
- Strong written and oral communication skills; and
- Ability to lift and move 40 pound box and climb up and down ladders.
- Previous experience in a Federal Government setting or government contractor, and archivist certifications are highly desired.
- Professional certification as an Archivist is strongly preferred.
We offer a great benefits package to those who come aboard with us!
SEARCH Compensation and Benefits include:
- Competitive Salary
- Per Diem (for overnight travel)
- SEARCH-subsidized Group Health Insurance (including Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage)
- SEARCH-provided Short-Term Disability Insurance
- SEARCH-provided Long-Term Disability Insurance
- SEARCH-provided Group Term Life Insurance
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Emergency Travel Assistance
- Generous 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Paid Holidays (10)
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Merit-Based Raises, Bonuses, and Promotions