SEARCH, a leading nationwide and global provider of cultural resources services to government and commercial customers, is continuously seeking top talent in the cultural resource management industry. As a full service company, SEARCH offers a multidisciplinary integration of our five divisions: Archaeology, Maritime Archaeology, Architectural History, History and Archives, and Heritage Design.
SEARCH has an immediate opening for a full time Collections Technician to join our team in the Richmond, VA, area. The position will be based in Richmond, VA, on-site at the client’s facility, and it will be responsible for inventorying and processing historic naval artifacts. The position may include limited travel to SEARCH’s Washington DC area facility. Candidates must be independent, project-focused, detail-oriented, and organized, with the ability to work on multiple tasks while meeting deadlines.
Key responsibilities of this role will include:
- Responsible for meticulous care of artifacts collection, including proper handling and storage;
- Provide support in any collections related activities, work both independently and dependently to prioritize tasks as part of a larger collections team;
- Catalog artifacts, to compose descriptions of objects along with documenting provenance, location, and measurements;
- Perform condition assessment of collection;
- Assess conservation issues and perform basic cleaning and stabilization of objects;
- Conduct object research, retrieve relevant information and prepare documentation;
- Perform Artifact Photography, set up and position objects for database-friendly photographs;
- Perform object packing and rehousing, determine proper use of archival materials; and
- Other duties assigned.
In Word or as a PDF, please send a cover letter with a description of your archival experience which also lists a minimum of two professional references, your resume/CV, and dates of your availability. SEARCH will contact professional references and treat all employment inquires with discretion.
Candidates must be eligible to work in the United States and able to obtain a Top Secret government security clearance. The chosen candidate will be required to successfully complete a pre-employment drug test and a criminal background check, including DMV.
For more information on SEARCH, please visit www.searchinc.com and follow us on Facebook or Instagram.
SEARCH is strongly committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment where a variety of backgrounds, cultures, orientations, ideas, and talents can flourish.
SEARCH is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
SEARCH is an Affirmative Action Employer and a Drug-Free Workplace.
To perform this position successfully, candidates should possess:
- Master’s degree or Bachelor’s degree in Art, History, or Archaeology, or in Museum Studies;
- Two years’ experience in archives, collections, or records management;
- Experience performing and writing reports for all aspects of collections management, including accessioning, tracking, description, object photography, housing/re-housing and handling historic artifacts;
- Experience with data management (e.g., MS Excel, MS Access, EMu, PastPerfect, TMS, or other collection management software)
- Ability to perform object research using accession files and other documentation; and
- Ability to lift heavy objects (up to 40 lbs), walk and stand for long periods of time, focus and concentrate on detailed tasks, and perform strenuous physical labor under adverse field conditions.
We offer a great benefits package to those who come aboard with us!
SEARCH Compensation and Benefits include:
- Competitive Salary
- Per Diem (for overnight travel)
- SEARCH-subsidized Group Health Insurance (including Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage)
- SEARCH-provided Short-Term Disability Insurance
- SEARCH-provided Long-Term Disability Insurance
- SEARCH-provided Group Term Life Insurance
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Emergency Travel Assistance
- Generous 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Paid Holidays (10)
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Merit-Based Raises, Bonuses, and Promotions